Incompetence

Give someone a pat on the back or let off a little steam.
Earl Newsom

Incompetence

Post by Earl Newsom » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:56 pm

This isn't so much a specific rant but an old man's rant about today's world. It seems that the world today is full of incompetence. And a lot of it is at pretty simple levels. I have long believed that good customer service is a thing of the past. Here are a couple of quick, simple, examples. If I go through McDonald's to get my wife a bacon and cheese biscuit the odds are 70/30 I will end up with a bacon/cheese/EGG/biscuit. She doesn't want the egg but no matter how much I stress it, odds are better than even she'll get it anyway. Today she went to KFC to order some chicken. She loves their biscuits. She orders some popcorn chicken, coleslaw and a biscuit. They insist she order a meal (probably trying to save her money) so she also gets a Pepsi lite which goes to waste since I've cut down on soft drinks and she doesn't care that much for them. She gets home and there is no biscuit. What is wrong with these people? Come on, this isn't rocket science. I could go on and on about these kinds of simple issues. They don't mean much but they are annoying.

Now, you kids stay off my lawn.

marknjul

Re: Incompetence

Post by marknjul » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:23 pm

:shakefist: (I had to bring the shake fist back) :D

owlhooter

Post by owlhooter » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:13 am

I've noticed the same thing with fast food places around town. I get that mistakes happen, but it seems the odds of a mistake are closer to 80/20 when I hit up a drive thru. I don't have complicated orders yet it seems something is always messed up. Just this last week I went through Wendys, got my wife a burger meal, a spicy chicken for myself, 2 kids meals for the kiddos and an extra chicken nugget since the kids like both nuggets and burgers so they get to share some nuggets. After pulling off I checked the bag real quick and noticed the nuggets were missing, went back and got the nuggets. Ok, easy to miss 1 thing like that, but they should be checking before they put it in the bag. But then I get home and there are 2 spicy chicken sandwiches and no burger. So the level of incompetence on that order was extra high, as it was messed up from the cooks to the people bagging. Receipt showed everything right, so at least they rang it up right. It's to the point I'm almost ready to start unwrapping everything in the drive thru and make sure it's correct before I leave the window.

aachterhof

Post by aachterhof » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:40 pm

$15/hr :banghead:

Earl Newsom

Post by Earl Newsom » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:42 pm

I wish it was limited to minimum wage workers but it, sadly, isn't. Today a dear friend went for her chemo treatment. Regimen is a blood draw (through the port), one bag of a chemical which takes approximately two hours to infuse, second bag of a different chemical which takes approximately 90 minutes, then a pump installation which runs about 46 hours (she returns Wednesday to unhook the pump). Today the nurse started chemicals one and two at the same time (a major no-no). This is at one of the premier cancer centers in the state, if not in the world. An educated nurse making well over minimum wage did this mess up. Luckily it was caught right away. Then her day continued to be messed up because the lady installing the pump had a low blood sugar problem and collapsed, being caught by the patient's husband. That one we will blame on health issues instead of incompetence. :)

It can happen anywhere, anytime, and, apparently, with anybody. :shakefist:

owlhooter

Post by owlhooter » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:15 am

aachterhof wrote:$15/hr :banghead:
But you also get what you pay for. I'm not against a $15/hr minimum wage if that's what would be required to have a living wage. People who are underpaid for the work they perform tend to not perform as well. That's not to say everyone performs better when paid higher wages, but it is an incentive to perform the job well. No one should be paid a wage that requires additional assistance, if one is working full time they should be able to support themselves without welfare, and unfortunately that is not possible for many without multiple jobs. And if someone is working multiple jobs they are taking a job out of the market for someone else that may be looking for work as well.

But I think the fact that employers see these employees as easily replaceable with little to no training (and the fact that they pay them next to nothing) contributes to the incompetence you see in lower paying jobs. Why waste time/money training someone to do the job right when you are just going to replace them in a month anyways.

As far as Earls problem with the nurse, that is a serious issue, nurses are also one of the most overworked individuals around but the work they do leaves no room for errors like that. Hopefully the center looks into the issue behind what allowed that to happen and addresses any training issues so it doesn't happen again.

aachterhof

Post by aachterhof » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:57 am

owlhooter wrote:People who are underpaid for the work they perform tend to not perform as well. That's not to say everyone performs better when paid higher wages, but it is an incentive to perform the job well.
Absolutely not. You can never make me believe that a kid making $8/hr that, in your situation, can't compare 4 items on a screen to the 4 items in a bag is magically going to be able to do it correctly if they were paid $15/hr. You don't perform to match what you get paid, ideally you get paid to match your performance. Obviously we don't always get that since almost anyone thinks they are "underpaid" for what they do, but that pay increase incentive and promotion possibility is what drives us to perform to our capabilities. At least anyone that has any type of mature work ethic

owlhooter

Post by owlhooter » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:06 pm

aachterhof wrote: Absolutely not. You can never make me believe that a kid making $8/hr that, in your situation, can't compare 4 items on a screen to the 4 items in a bag is magically going to be able to do it correctly if they were paid $15/hr. You don't perform to match what you get paid, ideally you get paid to match your performance. Obviously we don't always get that since almost anyone thinks they are "underpaid" for what they do, but that pay increase incentive and promotion possibility is what drives us to perform to our capabilities. At least anyone that has any type of mature work ethic
Ideally, yes, however in corporate America these days it's anything to make profit at the cost of the employers. Even employees out performing others barely get a cost of living wage while the companies rake in massive profits. And it's not about the ability to compare items in the bag vs the screen because obviously the ability is there, it's about them caring enough to do it. And in a job like fast food what incentive is there to be a top performer? You could get an assistant manager position making $10/h instead of minimum wage? The $15/hr argument isn't about paying for performance, it's about paying a living wage that you can support yourself on. If a job is that important that a company needs to hire someone to do it, the person should get paid a wage that they are able to support themselves on. Working 40 hours a week, could you support yourself on $290 a week before taxes? These workers are also the most likely to not have any healthcare coverage or sick day benefits meaning even when sick, if they want to pay the bills, they go to work. I for one would rather they be paid a decent wage and given healthcare and sick leave so they aren't put in that situation to spread an illness to the community they serve.

The thing these companies seem to forget is that without the front line employees to serve the customers, there are no profits to be had. Sure they could work to automate the front line work, but then they have to have people servicing that equipment to keep it running properly, fewer jobs to go around at that point too. We are already at a point where there aren't enough decent paying jobs to go around, at what point do we decide the type of economy we live it can no longer support the population and have to make major changes to make sure all people are taken care of, not just those lucky enough to have wealth and power?